West Hudson Arts & Theater Company and Teaneck New Theater, in association with The Hackensack Performing Arts Center are proud to announce open auditions for their Shakespeare productions scheduled for this summer!
A Midsummer Night’s Dream and Othello auditions will be held in person as follows:
Date: May 1st
Time: 7:00-9:00 PM
Location: West Hudson Arts & Theater Company, 15 Frank E Rodgers Blvd S Harrison, NJ (the former Holy Cross School)
Free parking is available in the lot at Jersey Street.
July 12, 19, 26 (AMND)
August 9, 23 (Othello)
** NOTE: Performances will be held outdoors at The Hackensack Performing Arts Center (102 State Street, Hackensack), with encore performances on September 23, 24, 29, 30 at West Hudson Arts and Theater (15 Frank E. Rodgers Blvd. S., Harrison, NJ)
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with questions or for additional information.
Actors ages 16-80+ are invited to read from the provided sides.
In one of the most famous of literary love quadrangles, A Midsummer Night’s Dream (directed by Matt Masiello) tells the tale of Hermia, Demetrius, Lysander, and Helena; four misguided lovers whose journey into the woods lands them in even more trouble, as members of the fairy kingdom decide to use them as veritable pawns in their own love games. Against the backdrop of the wedding of Duke Theseus and Hippolyta, and the fiery battle of wills between the Fairy King and Queen, Oberon and Titania, the four lovers are challenged by magic and trickery to finally work out what love is all about. And lest we forget, a group of would-be actors try to perform a play at the wedding of Theseus and Hippolyta.
Cast of Characters:
- Titania: Female (mid 20s-40s); Queen of the Fairies. She is a force of nature. Intense, intelligent, and proud. Vibrant and enjoys life.
- Oberon: Male (mids 20s-40s); King of the Fairies. Powerful and proud, but often his own pride gets in his way.
- Robin “Puck” Goodfellow: Any gender (20s-30s); A mischievous, magical creature who loves a good prank. Loyal to Oberon.
- Theseus: Male (40s-50s); The Duke, excited about his upcoming marriage to Hippolyta. He wants the wedding to be perfect in every way.
- Hippolyta: Female (mid 30s-50s); Queen of the Amazons. Powerful and driven. Engaged to Theseus.
- Egeus: Any gender (40s-50s); A father who just wants his daughter Hermia to do what he wants, which is marry Demetrius.
- Hermia: Female (20s); Romantic and resourceful. She and Lysander want to marry, despite her father’s disapproval. Best friends with Helena.
- Helena: Female (20s); Believes in love. Honest and driven, she loves Demetrius, even though he hasn’t realized what a catch she is. Best friends with Hermia.
- Lysander: Male (20s); Whip-smart and creative, he loves Hermia, despite her father’s disapproval. Driven to find a way to ensure they can marry.
- Demetrius: Male (20s); Intelligent and going places. The young man who Egeus wants his daughter Hermia to marry.
- Bottom: Male (30s-50s); A weaver by trade who thinks he is the best at everything, including acting. Becomes an ass (literally) at one point in the play who Titania is tricked to love. One of the six mechanicals who prepares a play for Theseus’ wedding day.
- Quince: Any gender (30s-50s); A carpenter who directs and stars in the play within a play. Usually at loggerheads with Bottom.
- Flute: Male (20s); A bellows-mender who gets cast as Thisbe in the play within a play. A young, excited actor who isn’t thrilled with his part.
- Snout: Any gender (20s-50s); A tinker who plays The Wall in the play within a play. Tries to be the best wall ever.
- Starveling: Any gender (20s-50s); A tailor who plays Moonshine in the play within a play. A bit of a scaredy-cat.
- Snug: Any gender (20s-50s); The joiner who plays the Lion in the play within a play. Worried about forgetting their lines, even though they just roar.
- Peaseblossom, Mustardseed, Cobweb & Moth: Any gender (20s-50s); Fairies who work for and are loyal to Titania.
AMSND Audition Materials
Side 1: Theseus, Hippolyta, Egeus, Hermia, Lysander, Demetrius, Helena
Side 2: Quince, Bottom, Flute, Snout, Snug
Side 3: Robin, Fairy. Oberon, Titania, Demetrius, Helena
Side 4: Oberon, Robin, Demetrius, Hermia, Lysander, Helena
Side 5: Puck
Othello (directed by Beatriz Esteban-Messina), tells the story of how jealousy can destroy the foundations of love and friendship. Provoked by Iago, a jealous Roderigo tells Brabantio of Othello’s secret affair and marriage to his daughter Desdemona. Othello is brought before the Duke, where he explains how he wooed Desdemona, and she is brought to the chamber to confirm her willingness to marry him. Othello is then sent to defend Cyprus against the Turks. He prepares to leave, entrusting Desdemona to his ensign, Iago. Iago tells Roderigo that he will obtain Desdemona for him, and persuades him to come to Cyprus, along with his money. Iago reflects on his hatred for Othello, and plots a way of destroying him.
Cast of Characters:
- Othello: The greatest army general in Venice. He is intelligent, courageous, and honorable. His marriage to beautiful Desdemona, the daughter of a prominent Venetian, provokes racial slurs against him. But he carries on with nobility and dignity as he leads an army against Turks on Cyprus. His dedication to duty is eclipsed only by his dedication to Desdemona, who follows him to Cyprus. So passionately does he love her that he cannot endure the thought of another man even looking at her. And therein lies his Achilles’ heel, jealousy.
- Iago: Military officer who schemes against Othello because the Moor did not promote him. He is evil through and through, taking great pleasure in bringing down the great Othello.
- Desdemona: Daughter of Brabantio, wife of Othello, and victim of Iago’s machinations and Othello’s jealousy. She is the noblest and most unselfish character in the play.
- Michael Cassio: Othello’s lieutenant, who is manipulated by Iago. Cassio is a hinge on which the play turns. On the one hand, it is his promotion that arouses Iago’s jealously. On the other, it is his alleged (but nonexistent) love affair with Desdemona that arouses Othello’s jealousy.
- Duke of Venice: Ruler who finds in favor of Othello when Desdemona’s father attacks Othello’s character.
- Brabantio: Senator and father of Desdemona. A bigot whose racism is inflamed by Iago, he despises Othello. First Senator, Second Senator
- Gratiano: Brabantio’s brother. Lodovico: Brabantio’s kinsman, who bears a message from the duke recalling Othello to Venice.
- Roderigo: Venetian gentleman and former suitor of Desdemona. He is manipulated by Iago.
- Montano: Othello’s predecessor in the government of Cyprus.
- Clown: Servant to Othello.
- Emilia: Wife of Iago. She is blind to his evil until she discovers that it was he who plotted against Othello and Desdemona.
- Bianca: Cassio’s mistress.
- Minor Characters: Sailor, messenger, herald, officers, gentlemen, musicians, attendants.
Audition Materials – Othello
Auditions will be a mix of the one monologue (see link below for character monologues) and a scene with 2 or 3 characters which will be cold read.